Nature - Quotes
- "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed."
-- Francis Bacon, Novum Organum
- "The earth is the very quintessence of the human condition."
-- Hannah Arendt , The Human Condition, 1958
- I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself.
-- Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Quixote, 1914
- "Raise a million filters and the rain will not be clean, until the longing for it be refined in deep confession."
-- Leonard Cohen, Book of Mercy, 1984
- "Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "I am following Nature without being able to grasp her ... I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."
-- Claude Monet
- "The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Letter to state governors, 26 February 1937
- "Earth knows no desolation. She smells regeneration in the moist breath of decay."
-- George Meredith
- "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."
- "The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyality to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only paradise we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need -- if only we had the eyes to see ... No, wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives as water and good bread."
-- Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire, 1968
- "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
-- Aldo Leopold, The Quiet Crisis by Stewart L. Udall, 1963
Back to ETNI Quotes