Nothing - Quotes
- "One creates from nothing. If you try to create from something you're just changing something. So in order to create something you first have to be able to create nothing. "
-- Werner Erhard
- "From a distance it is something; and nearby it is nothing."
-- Jean de LaFontaine
- "Where every something, being blent together turns to a wild of nothing."
-- William Shakespeare
- "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about."
-- Oscar Wilde
- "I used to believe that anything was better than nothing. Now I know that sometimes nothing is better."
-- Glenda Jackson
- "From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is all."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
- "Nothing can be created out of nothing."
- "But, if you have nothing at all to create, then perhaps you create yourself."
-- Carl Jung
- "When you're born you have nothing and when you die you have nothing."
-- Kensho Furuya
- "To do nothing at all is the most difficult thing in the world, the most difficult and the most intellectual."
-- Oscar Wilde
- "Lao-tzu quote: In the pursuit of Knowledge, every day something is added. In the practice of the Way, every day something is dropped. Less and less do you need to force things, until finally you arrive at non-action. When nothing is done, nothing is left undone."
-- Martha Beck
- "Ultimately, Leibniz argued, there are only two absolutely simple concepts, God and Nothingness. From these, all other concepts may be constructed, the world, and everything within it, arising from some primordial argument between the deity and nothing whatsoever. And then, by some inscrutable incandescent insight, Leibniz came to see that what is crucial in what he had written is the alternation between God and Nothingness. And for this, the numbers 0 and 1 suffice."
-- David Berlinski
Source: The Advent of the Algorithm: The 300-Year Journey from an Idea to the Computer,
- "Meditation hasn't got a damn thing to do with anything, 'cause all it has to do with is nothing. Nothingness. Okay? It doesn't develop the mind, it dissolves the mind. Self-improvement? Forget it, baby. It erases the self. Throws the ego out on its big brittle ass. What good is it? Good for nothing. Excellent for nothing. Yes, Lord, but when you get down to nothing, you get down to ultimate reality. It's then and exactly then that you're sensing the true nature of the universe, you're linked up with the absolute Absolute, son, and unless you're content with blowing smoke up your butt all your life, that there's the only place to be."
-- Bobby Case
- "The seeker is he who is in search of himself. Give up all questions except one: "Who am I?" After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The "I am" is certain. The "I am this" is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality. To know what you are, you must first investigate and know what you are not. Discover all that you are not -- body, feelings thoughts, time, space, this or that -- nothing, concrete or abstract, which you perceive can be you. The very act of perceiving shows that you are not what you perceive. The clearer you understand on the level of mind you can be described in negative terms only, the quicker will you come to the end of your search and realise that you are the limitless being."
-- Sri Nisargadatta
Back to ETNI Quotes