Reading - Quotes
- I took a speed reading course and read 'war and peace' in twenty minutes. IT involves Russia.
- Woody Allen (Born 1935)
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
- Groucho Marx (1895-1977)
- "I divide all readers into two classes: Those who read to remember and those who read to forget." -- William Phelps
- "When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls. What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story's voice makes everything its own." -- John Berger
- "To read a writer is for me not merely to get an idea of what he says, but to go off with him and travel in his company." -- Andre Gide
- "The world may be full of fourth-rate writers but it's also full of fourth-rate readers." -- Stan Barstow
- "The failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision and strengthens our most fatal tendency--the belief that the here and now is all there is." -- Allan Bloom
- "'Tis the good reader that makes the good book; a good head cannot read amiss: in every book he finds passages which seem confidences or asides hidden from all else and unmistakeably meant for his ear." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "A man ought to read just as inclination leads him, for what he reads as a task will do him little good." -- Samuel Johnson
- "What is reading but silent conversation?" -- Walter Savage Landor
- "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." --- Mark Twain
Back to ETNI Quotes