Travel - Quotes
- "Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends."
-- Maya Angelou
- "The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist."
-- Russell Baker
- "What childishness is it that while there's breath of life in our bodies, we are determined to rush to see the sun the other way around?"
-- Elizabeth Bishop
- "The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing.""
-- Daniel J. Boorstin
- "I am so convinced of the advantages of looking at mankind instead of reading about them, and of the bitter effects of staying at home with all the narrow prejudices of an Islander, that I think there should be a law amongst us to set our young men abroad for a term among the few allies our wars have left us."
-- Lord Byron
- "The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land."
-- G. K. Chesterton
- "Travellers never think that THEY are the foreigners."
-- Mason Cooley
- "Your true traveller finds boredom rather agreeable than painful. It is the symbol of his liberty-- his excessive freedom. He accepts his boredom, when it comes, not merely philosophically, but almost with pleasure."
-- Aldous Huxley
- "The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."
-- Samuel Johnson
- "If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."
-- Henry Miller
- "Against my will, in the course of my travels, the belief that everything worth knowing was known at Cambridge gradually wore off. In this respect my travels were very useful to me."
-- Bertrand Russell
- "Travel is the most private of pleasures. There is no greater bore than the travel bore. We do not in the least want to hear what he has seen in Hong-Kong."
-- Vita Sackville-West
- "Life on board a pleasure steamer violates every moral and physical condition of healthy life except fresh air...It is a guzzling, lounging, gambling, dog's life. The only alternative to excitement is irritability."
-- George Bernard Shaw
- "A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it."
-- John Steinbeck
- "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
- "I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them."
-- Mark Twain
- "No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow."
-- Lin Yutang
Back to ETNI Quotes