Words - Quotes
- "Words are not as satisfactory as we should like them to be, but, like our neighbours, we have got to live with them and must make the best and not the worst of them." -- Samuel Butler
- "A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket." -- Charles Peguy
- "A wise man hears one word and understands two." -- Yiddish Proverb
- "Words convey the mental treasures of one period to the generations that follow; and laden with this, their precious freight, they sail safely across gulfs of time in which empires have suffered shipwreck and the languages of common life have sunk into oblivion." -- Anonymous
- "But words are things, and a small drop of ink, Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." -- Lord Byron
- "Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality." -- Joseph Conrad
- "We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." -- John Locke
- "Words not only affect us temporarily; they change us, they socialize or unsocialize us." -- David Riesman
- "Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."
-- Adlai Stevenson"
- "Words are plentiful; deeds are precious." -- Lech Walesa
- "Don't, Sir, accustom yourself to use big words for little matters." -- Dr Samuel Johnson
- "We are getting into semantics again. If we use words, there is a very grave danger they will be misinterpreted." -- H. R. Halderman
Back to ETNI Quotes